Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Leprosy Funding

I've spent most of my week trying to figure out how to finance my Leprosy project in India in March. I've agreed with the World Health Organization to exchange photos for logistical support at the local level, but still need to finance getting over to Calcutta and a few weeks of food and lodgings. The project will celebrate the WHO's Leprosy Elimination Program. They hope to declare the end of leprosy as a public health problem by year-end 2005. A truly historic event by any measure, considering this disease has been around for 2600 years. I'm in the process of applying to the Ontario Arts Council, Canada Council and Toronto Arts Council for grants and some wild cards such as the Indian High Commission. We'll see what happens! Nothing I've heard or read indicates that there is any kind of living to be made in documentary photography. Sometimes I wish my camera could be interested in fashion or food photography, but I seem to have no say in this matter!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home